Friday, June 17, 2011

Things You Should Know Before Your Enrol in that Logistics Class

Most of what I learned in Logistics I learned it the hard way--thru actual work experience.  I was not able to study Logistics in Singapore which my friend (who happens to be the former Supply Chain Director of one of the best know Multinational FMCG company in Manila) told me will cost about US$4,000 for a 3-week course excluding plane fare and hotel accomodations.  Nor, was I able to work in a Multinational company that had all the latest bell and whistles in Logistics (ERP, SAP WMS  and whatever letters there were).
Logistics class may be too theoretical or too basic (courtesy of melanietheteacher.pbworks.com)

courtesy of bookbyte.com
And so, I felt the need to enrol in a Logistics class in Manila.  At that time, there was only 1 school that started offering it.  Being an academe colleague, my friend offered to accompany me to the Dean of Commerce of that school so that I can ask the Dean directly to allow me to just enrol for the Logistic classes and not the under-graduate subjects anymore.

When we arrived at his office, the Dean proceeded to impress me with a stack of newly-arrived books on Logistics and he proudly announced some cost the school upwards of P10,000 for just 1 book.  I am a book-addict and I proceeded to start perusing the books.  And, I was not impressed.

I told the Dean what was wrong with the books that he purchased and why it will not help students in Manila:

This is a terrific book on Logistics. I have an earlier edition. Pricey. But are the other books relevant?
(courtesy of supplychainmanagementsoftware.com)
courtesy of WalMart & baselinemag.com
1.  The impressive books speak of RFID, AGVs or automative guided vehicles for warehouse picking & putaway (like robots) and computer-controlled inventory conveyor systems but these students will never see them as these systems are too expensive for any local company to purchases and for as long as labor is cheaper than in the US of A, it will never be mainstream here.

(Note:  To date, I only know of the United Laboratories or Unilab, the country's biggest pharmaceutical producer, that has an automated conveyor system operated by the defunct Diethelm Phils and now managed by First Pioneer Distribution (also owned by UniLab)

2.  Students in Manila would not know about JC Penny nor WalMart (epitome of Logistic prowess with its Own Satellite-based Cross-docked Distribution Centers that rival the size of a small town in the Philippines)  but talk about Jollibee (the Number 1 Filipino-owned Fastfood chain and one of only 2 countries wherein Mcdonalds is NOT NUMBER ONE)  and they will be interested.

courtesy of WalMart & basthatfield
3. And one of the books was too basic as to be more of a dictionary of Logistic terms than anything else.

4.  It should not be too theoretical & it should have Case Studies that speak of situations with local conditions.

The Philippines is one of the countries wherein McDonalds IS NOT NUMBER ONE. (courtesy of Jollibee)
Half expecting to be thrown out of his Office, I was surprised when the Dean offered if I would like to teach Logistics to his class. Hehehehe

Oh yes before I forget, ask also if the Instructor is a school professional (only theory basics but no real Logistic experience) or is he a Logistic practitioner from a company that practices modern Supply chain principles.

By the way, I would like to invite you to visit my Sulit Homepage as there are some business opportunities that you guys might be able to help me out with.  If you are interested, just click the Sulit Logo below:

My Sulit Homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment