Saturday, May 28, 2011

Warehouse Management: The Bad Thing About Emails.

As a then newly-installed Operations Manager for a 3.2-hectare 4-Building National Distribution Center Facility east of Manila, I always made it a point to make a Quick tour of the whole facility before I step inside my Office.  The action is in the Warehouse floor and that is where I want to be.

Screenshot courtesy of Yahoo Mail
First building is in what they call the Consolidation Warehouse where Inbound goods from different suppliers including the plantation/cannery in Mindanao where the bulk of the goods come from are first off-loaded from 20-footer container vans and 10-wheeler trucks.

I saw my forklift operators unload the container van of loaded pallets.  I saw my checkers checking quantities and items versus the packing list and checking for damages to the goods. I heard my warehouseman barking commands on where in the warehouse to store the pallets.  I then saw my warehouse helpers laying down the pallets and with the use of pallet jacks, pull the stocks inside.  In fact, I saw everybody in the warehouse except my warehouse supervisor who heads the warehouse--- he was nowhere in the area!!

After an hour making my rounds, I finally stepped into the Office and found my warehouse supervisor in front of the computer answering emails!!!  I asked him why was he not in the warehouse floor and he said he will get into trouble if he does not answer the emails sent by our client-company (that's our principal, the one who pays us)!!! Second question, how long will it take him to answer the emails --- the better part of the morning, on most days!!! Terrific.  I just lost the use of a warehouse supervisor.  I told him starting tomorrow, I want to see him at the warehouse floor. (EMAIL EVIL NUMBER 1)

EMAIL EVIL NUMBER 2:  I noticed when we get an email from our client-company, they furnish copies (it's that "cc:" thing you see after the first line of Yahoo mail) to everybody including several recipients in my team including me as the Head of the facility.  And this is the bombastic thing, each of those recipients will now reply to the sender and of course, "cc:" me. Its a BACTERIA THAT REPLICATES GEOMETRICALLY!!!!
I now hold several copies of the same text of the original email plus several copies too of the replies of everybody!!!!  (hey, too many exclamation points)

Hah!!!! The client-company pays my warehouse supervisor P30,000/month give or take just to answer emails half of the time.  Is that cost-effective?

 
By the way, I would like to invite you to visit my Sulit Homepage as there are some business opportunities that you guys might be able to help me out with.  If you are interested, just click the Sulit Logo below:

My Sulit Homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment